Special Education Task Force
In 2021, Annual Meeting delegates approved a Task Force on Special Education to look at the feasibility of creating an organizing initiative and potential legislation around the following topics:
- Gather information about the staffing patterns of special education teachers, working conditions and the size of their caseloads.
- Research Child Find.
- Investigate inequalities along disability, racial, ethnic and socioeconomic lines.
- Develop a toolkit for local associations to use in bargaining for professionally certified special education staff.
- Create and distribute a toolkit for parents/guardians to clarify the special education process and their parental rights.
- Create a toolkit for parents/guardians to be able to locate professional support(s) such as an advocate.
- Foster collaboration and coalition work between SpEdPac and the MTA.
The 2022 Annual Meeting delegates voted to lengthen the sunset date for this task force until June 2024, so that the group can continue its work developing materials, conducting research and holding workshops for families around special education.
Chair: Stephanie Ponte
Contact: MTA Governance with questions regarding this task force.